After successful micro-jamming of raspberry and then raspberry and blueberry. This week I’m trying raspberry and apple.
120g grated bramley apple
300g jam sugar
I slowly heated all the ingredients and stirred regularly making sure not to rapidly boil as the apple needed to be cooked. This took around 12 minutes to cook the apples and have a good consistency.
This made two jars of jam. I’ll find out how good it tastes tomorrow.
I recently picked up from Nisbets some Kilner bottles primarily for BBQ sauce and whilst browsing I picked up some clip top preserve jars. It looks like I needed to make something to fill the jars. My first thought was jam. But how to you make small batch jam? What if you only want to fill one jar?
After browsing and searching for a while it seemed like the easiest thing to make micro batch jam. Preserving with sugar couldn’t be simpler.
The basic formula seems to be 1 part fruit to 1 part sugar. If you use jam sugar it will have pectin already added. The next thing to note is that you don’t need to boil for a long time and not even particularly vigorous. The jam needs to be boiled to 105˚C. Thats about it. Well, another thing to point out is that you don’t need to boil the jars or sterilise them like its the 1950’s. Wash the jars in the dishwasher and pour the boiling jam in. It will do, the jam will only last a week or two at most. This is micro batch jamming, not long term preserving.
- A small punnet of raspberries 185g
- 185g jam sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Add the fruit and sugar to a small heavy bottomed pan. On a medium-high heat, heat up the pan and once it starts bubbling and or spitting, turn down the heat and gently heat to 105˚C. Stirring often.
Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Then pour into a jar.
Once cooled pop it in the fridge. Job done.
After the recent upgrade it seems that TextMate and Ruby are no longer friends.
Are you seeing errors like:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require': /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/shelltokenize.rb:74: invalid multibyte escape: /[^\w_\-\+=\/\x7F-\xFF]/ (SyntaxError) from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require’ from /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Subversion.tmbundle/Support/format_status.rb:4:in `
I think I have a more permanent fix this time. If you read my previous post you sill see that the moving the current Ruby link is no longer working. Also, if you set the TM_RUBY variable, this too does not fix the problem.
Todays workaround is to update the PATH environment variable within TextMate to include Ruby 1.8 fist in the list.
To do this:
- Open TextMate
- Open the preferences pane TextMate -> Preferences
- Select the Advanced tab
- Select Shell Variables
- Edit the PATH variable. Add to the beginning
Since thew upgrade to Mavericks the output from the subversion log command in TextMate has not worked correctly. It seems that the problem is caused by a change to the xml output from subversion which the TextMate format log script is not picking up.
Essentially the problem is the encoding line has changed from utf-8 to UTF-8.
To fix the problem edit the file: /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Subversion.tmbundle/Support/format_log_xml.rb To edit in TextMate this would be:
Change line 151 from:
if line =~ /^(.*)<\?xml version="1\.0"( encoding="utf-8")?\?>$/
if line =~ /^(.*)<\?xml version="1\.0"((?i) encoding="utf-8")?\?>$/
The log format should be back.
The second design is in. It is much smaller than the original and fits much better.
Thats 21g of Square Mile Coffee – Red Brick.
A good tamp and no mess!
The finished product. Today a latte.
Two years ago I added a SSD drive to my office MacPro. At that time I found a very useful blog post showing how to do it. I’ve just acquired another SSD drive and can no longer find the blog post. So, I’m posting what I did just to help anyone else out there who can’t find the original post about adding a 2.5 inch SSD drive to a MacPro 1,1 drive drawer/tray/sled without using an adaptor.
Things you’ll need:
- 2.5 inch SSD
- A drive tray/drawer/sled.
Place the sled on top of the CD/DVD and draw along the edges with a pen
You will have something like this.
Cut off the sides of the CD/DVD with the scissors.
Tape the CD to the sled and then tape the SSD on top of that. There needs to be about a 20mm overhang, and also the SSD needs to be 2mm in from the edge.
With the scissors cut through any tape that is overhanging underneath. This will allow the sled to side back in to the Mac.
Slide the sled back in and the SATA connector should all line up.
After seeing something similar used at Nude Espresso, I’ve been looking to buy a funnel type thing to help stop getting coffee grounds everywhere when filling the filter basket.
This is take one of producing the part. There is some work still to do. Mainly reducing the size and correcting the dimensions.
This is it. Designed in Sketchup and printed on Ryan’s Ultimaker. This is a draft print just to see if the design was anywhere close. The first print took 2 hours.
The idea is for the filter funnel to sit on top of the basket so that when I add the coffee grounds, they stay in the basket ready for tamping. It is a bit too high. The next revision I’ll half the height.
Once the coffee has been added, it looks like the diameter is too wide. I designed it to sit just outside the lip of the basket. I need to alter this to sit inside the lip as I still have coffee spillage.
Some minor coffee loss.
The finished product. One tasty americano.